Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Childhood Memories with Ray Harryhausen



Ray Harryhausen was a special effects legend. He makes a impact in the movies by not using GCI and instead he did something else to make the movies that he was in charge of iconic. He used stop motion animation which is when someone makes a realistic model of something. The way that I will honor Ray Harryhausen death today by telling some stories of when I first saw the special effects of Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts.

The first time I saw Jason and the Argonauts is a few days after Christmas in about 2008 in the DVD format. The first time I saw I completely blown away on how he made the effects all by himself. I love seeing all the creatures this film had to offer and the skeleton army parts of the movies. This was the start of more memories to come from Ray Harryhausen and his amazing special effects.

About three years ago I saw the 1981 version of Clash of the Titans. I remember wondering if the original would be better than the remake that I saw in the movie theaters. I decided to go watch at TCM in 2010. It defiantly worth seeing on the television and it was better than the remake by a long shot. The special effects were thrilling and just breathtaking at the same when you saw the original. In the remake the special effects were decent, not at breathtaking as the original. Unfortunately, this is the last time he did special effects in movie, but it made a huge impact on how memorable the movie was.

Today, we have a lost a special effects legend named Ray Harryhausen who had made stop motion animation exciting and memorable at the same. Ray Harryhausen will always be a legend no matter what people say and I will cherish the moments I had watching the movies that he did special effects on.


No comments:

Post a Comment