Wednesday, July 23, 2014

1964 In Film Blogathon: A Fistful of Dollars

Since, I have saw that Kevyn did a entry on this Blogathan for a A Hard Day's Night, I thought it would be fun to review a film in that particular year and I chose A Fistful of Dollars, which is the first film in Sergio Leone's iconic Dollars Trilogy. Before, I start getting very specific on the film, I want everyone who has seen this film or heard about it, to imagine a world without this film for at least a minute. Once, you have finish thinking about it, you know  why things in cinema would be very different today without this film would be different, but to those who have never heard  it before or seen it, I will explain why I wanted the people who have seen or heard the film  to think about how cinema would be different without A Fistful of Dollars.

There are many reasons why cinema would be different without this wonderful Akira Kurosawa Yojimbo ripoff and I will explain my first reason on why this film made a huge impact on cinema. First, you wouldn't have Clint Eastwood become as famous as he is today if the castings did not give him the role of The Man with No Name and before he had his big break role here, he was most known for playing Rowdy Yates in Rawhide, which is a famous TV western show that used to air during 1959 throughout 1966. Second, the spaghetti  western  genre wouldn't be that well known to movies fans if this film wasn't super popular to audiences around the world. Third, we wouldn't have the creative mind of Sergio Leone when it comes to making films if this film bombed, but thankfully the movie was extremely successful. Finally, we wouldn't have the iconic music that comes with this films and the other films in the trilogy if Ennio Morricone refused to compose this film and that is a really sad ought to think about.

Another thing that I love about the film besides the major points I mentioned are essential when it comes to cinema not being the same with this film is that how story and character driven this film is for a western with lots of gruesome violence in the movie. A great example of character driven things about this film is that The Man With No Name is so mysterious because he barley has any lines in general and Clint Eastwood is excellent when it comes to barley speaking lines to the point, where people want to learn more about the character besides the obvious fact that they show you in the movie.  For the story driven aspect of the story, I love that we get to learn more about the other people who lived in the almost ghost dead town that the characters mainly live in before it gets really violent.

If you are still not convinced that you need to see this, I have three other reasons that I can convince you to see this film before this reive is over. First,  this not your average film when it comes to western because this film can impact your life when it comes to exploring a new genre of Westerns which is called Spaghetti western. Second,  some of the things that you are familiar as a cinema fan or pop culture junkie wouldn't be possible today if this didn't happen. Third, Quentin Tarantino will be very impressed that you saw this film and he will give you a thumbs up of approval as film fans. If these reasons that I have mentioned did not convinced you to see this movie in the introductory paragraph, I feel very sorry for you.

I hope that you enjoyed this lengthy review and please comment if you really enjoyed this film and I hope everyone is having a wonderful day so far.
 





3 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating. While The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly may ultimately be the best installment of the trilogy you can't really deny how significant A Fistful of Dollars is. Of course, what I'd recommend doing is to watch the whole trilogy in order so you can see how Leone progresses in his skills as a director.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. I have seen the whole trilogy in order once and I do find it amazing how much Sergio Leone's trilogy gets better when he has more experience in the director's chair when you watch it. Also, my favorite film of this trilogy is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly just like you . Another thing I want to say is I am very glad that you created this Blogathan because this is a great way to know the movie blogging community a little bit better and I want to say thank you for creating this blogathon.

      Delete
  2. I actually mainly do crafts-weird eh? card making but I am a lover of film and actors and everything related to film. So I expanded my blog to write about ...stuff and I found this Blogathon threw All Things Kevyn (I found him through the A to Z Challenge). OK so to the movie-It's great and it started the whole spaghetti western craze. Everything works from Clint Eastwood's gritty style to the ethereal music of the great Ennio Morricone ( I have this music on an album). It was a turn around in the classic western and it works so well

    ReplyDelete