Sunday, August 3, 2014

The British Invaders Blogathan: A Matter of Life and Death Movie Review

http://mercurie.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-british-invaders-blogathon.html



A Matter of  Life and Death is one of those films that spoke to me as a film fan and I was in love with everything that this film did just like the first Powell and Pressburger I saw this year, which was The Red Shoes. The reasons why this film spoke to me was the theme of the film, the cinematography, and how unique the plot compared to the average war related that I have seen in the past.

The first thing that I will talk about theme is love, which is one of the most used themes that happen in films, but if you make the audiences care about the characters who are in love, it makes the story more magical if this theme was showcased like this film and I have two great examples of why this film showcased this theme perfectly. First, the connection between June (Kim Hunter) and Peter (David Niven) was shown the first time they met and you tell that were meant to be with each other based on their facial expressions and tone in the voices throughout the whole entire movie. Finally , the actions that lovers did when one was in trouble gave you a big hint that they will never stop loving each other to the end of time.

The second thing I will mentioned in this review is the how gorgeous the cinematography can be. I love how very advanced it was for a film back in 1940's and I have a great example of it.  The example I have can be odd at first, but the meanings of how different the Technicolor and black and white parts when it comes to two different worlds. The Techincolor represents the world that we are used to living in. The black and white in this film is all of about the people that have died in heaven recently and in the past.

The last thing that I will mention that I love is how unique the plot is to the film and I have my reasons for saying that. First, this film is not your average war movie at all and most war movies that I know of don't consists of two different parallel universes that makes a major impact to anyone's life at all. Second, they avoid most of the clichés that normally happen in all of the war films that I have seen. Finally, the plot has many layers to it and it makes you think on all of the political and prejudice views that some of the characters say in this film.

If you love movies that have a great plot, great cinematography, and an unique plot this film is for you and I personally can't wait to grab my hands on another Pressburger and Powell film that I haven't seen at all.

4 comments:

  1. I have always thought A Matter of Life and Death was one of Powell and Pressburger's very best films. It is definitely a very sophisticated film, one of those that just pulls the viewer in. Anyway, thank you so much for contributing to the blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making this blogathan Terrence and if you do this again, I will very glad to participate in it again.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad A Matter of Life speaks so deeply to you since it truly is a lovely film. I especially love the opening scene with Peter and June speaking over the radio for the first time but all of the Heaven scenes are extremely enjoyable as well. And of course, the cinematography is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting on this review Aubyn and the scenes that you mentioned are some of my favorite scenes throughout the whole movie besides the pretty cinematography.

      Delete