Saturday, January 24, 2015

Top 25 Best/Most Memorable Film Experiences I've had during 2014: #25-21

Since I don't watch a lot of movies on the particular year that they were made, I thought it would be a fun idea to make this countdown a little bit different than your typical end of the year of 2014 countdown, since I have discovered many movies that were not released 2014 and the lists consists of the film experinces I had watching from #25 to #1. Also, I hope you guys enjoyed this list as much as I enjoy figuring out which film should belong in what order in my opinion of course.

21. Coffy (1973 film from Jack Hill)

Coffy was just an unexpected surprise for me since I thought that this was going to be more like a revenge flick from what the summary of the plot suggests, but there is more to Blaxploitation film that what I have expected and Coffy just proved that to me easily just watching my first one this year. First, Pam Grier in this movie literally kick butt in this movie and I love how determined she is to do whatever she thinks is right despite what anyone says even thought there was a major chance that she could of been arrested from the many ways that she broke the law. Second, the action sequences on this film are instantly memorable, especially the salad  action sequence of this film, but if you haven't seen this film I will not explain to you what I mean with the salad sequence of this movie. Finally, the soundtrack of the movie gives you the feeling that you are literally in Coffy (Pam Grier) world when it comes to all of the things she had to do in this movie and that's why this film made the experience of the movie even more enjoyable to me.

22.  Titanic (1997 film from James Cameron)

Watching romantic movies like Titanic are rare to come by these days when it comes to the big grand epic tale romance movies, so I enjoy savoring these film up when I watch for the first time because they can provide some of the best experiences I  can have when I have since seen over eighty films on 2014 alone and this one does a great job with that. First, I love how strong the chemistry between Rose (Kate Winslet) and Jack (Leonardo Di Caprio) is throughout the whole movie and there were literally times where I was about to cry from how realistic the chemistry was when it comes to being stuck in the Titanic. Second, the ending was masterfully done and that ending will stick out in my mind whenever I think of this movie. Finally, the choice of putting Celion Dion's My Heart Will Go On in the background during some of the most romantic parts of the movies was a very smart decision on whoever did that idea in the first place because it is easily one of most well known songs from movie soundtracks of all time.

23. Sixteen Candles (1984 film from John Hughes)

Watching regular teenage coming of age stories that can relate to both adults who used to be teenagers and the people who are stuck in the teenager years right now can be an tricky thing to accomplish, but any John Hughes film that relates to the teenager coming of age stories provides a delicate amount of teenage drama and comedy that makes them timeless classics for everyone and that's what Sixteen Candles accomplishes when I saw this for the first time in 2014. First, the comedy scenes are really funny and even there is a famous quote from this movie that is easily recognizable if you love learning about movie quotes in general. Second, there so many scenes in this movie that blew my mind when it came to how crazy the plot was,  but that is part of the charm of this movie is the fun surprises that you get throughout the movie.  Finally, the ending was easily the best part of the whole movie and I wouldn't mind having a birthday like Sam (Molly Ringworld) when it comes to having that memorable romantic gesture during the end, but I am not going to tell the ending at all since there are other people who should discover the wonderful ending of this movie.

24. Moonrise Kingdom (2012 film from Wes Anderson)

Whenever I see a Wes Anderson movie, I know that I am going to have a good time watching a movie of his and Moonrise Kingdom is easily one of the quirkiest films I have seen of  Wes Anderson besides Mr. Fantastic Fox, which is the only other movie I have seen of his besides this film and there are many good reasons for that. First, the feeling of a Wes Anderson film is so different than your average film director because his sense of style realizes on him doing quirky, but relatable movies  in a way that is completely his own and I haven't seen any doing anything similar to Wes Anderson as a film fan. Second, the actors that are provided in this film fits his own auteur style when it comes to films brilliantly and it makes this film stand even more from the rest of the pack when it comes to movies like this. Finally, the plot of the two people falling in love not as teenagers is something I haven't seen a lot in films, so I always find it intruging when someone does something like this.

25. Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959 film from Ed Wood)

This film is one of the oddest films that I have seen in the science fiction B Flick genre of films, but the way that Ed Wood does it is so unusual to the point where I see why this film has a massive cult following when it comes to "its so good, but it's so bad" films of the 20th century. First, the plot is like coco for bananas because it makes no damn sense at all, but at the same time I am like literally engrossed on what going on. Second, the narration of the film is like the worst thing I have ever seen in my life, but without Criswell campniess as the narrator this film would be wouldn't have the same impact as it did today. Finally, this film has so much weird twist for zombies that make no sense whatsoever, but the creativity  of twists are like golden when it comes to movies like this.

2 comments:

  1. Really happy you had fun watching Coffy. I'm not the biggest fan of Titanic, but the grand scale spectacle of it is undeniable. John Hughes is the master of teen movies and Sixteen Candles is one of his best. West Anderson is great, as well. I love Moonrise Kingdom. Hope you get to see more of his work. Plan 9 is a fantastic mess of a movie. I'll be checking to see how the rest of the list unfolds. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment Wendell and I am glad to hear your opinions on this list so far. Also, I will probably post another one of these parts of lists this weekend, so be on the lookout for that and I hope you are having a wonderful day so far.

      Delete