Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June 2015 Blindspot Challenge Review: Harvey

Harvey is one of those movies that I didn't know that much about in general except for the fact that Universal pictures considers it a classic movie and family friendly movie based on a DVD I got a while ago. From recently watching this film,  I just find it to be mediocre despite this film having its strong moments.

For example, I understand that the plot of this movie must of been very entertaining back at the time since it involved the comical hysteria that a certain generation of movie go-ers are used to when it came to comedy movies back in the 1950's when it came to everyone thinking that Elwood P. Dowd (James Stewart) was crazy for having a invisible  pooka friend  named Harvey. The only problem for me is that the plot was very outdated and it loses some of the possible quirkiness that it had since the humor is something I'm not particularly used to at all.  Also, even thought it was a good story to watch at times, it was pretty dull since they relied on trying to get Elwood away a good portion of the movie, which annoyed me a lot since I wanted to learn more about Elwood past before he met Harvey.

Another thing that sometimes was a hit and miss spot of the movie was the acting. For example, the best acting in the movie was James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd. The main  reason why is the fact that Elwood was a man of many complex layers when it comes to how sweet and oblivious he was to the world around him. Even thought Elwood can be quite peculiar at times,  James Stewart makes you feels attached to him even more since he acts so differently compared to most people you'll meet and that's what makes him special to the audience.  Anyways, the other acting is nothing that special unless you say Josephine Hull because she really makes the audience member pay attention to antics that she provides in the movies.

Finally, I'm pretty certain that this film can still appeal to many people who haven't seen this film at all, but to me the story magical touch was not completely  there for me since  comical hysteria is not forte at all and the lack of character development on certain characters made this film loose its magical touches for me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment